Cleaning roof shingles is not a difficult task to do, but likely requires the help of a professional. Let’s talk about why you should clean roof shingles, how to do it, and some tips to prevent algae and moss growth in the future.
Why You Should Clean Roof Shingles
Taking steps to regularly clean roof shingles is important for your roof’s health. Keeping clean roof shingles will extend your roof’s life, improve its protective ability, and most importantly, not mask deeper symptoms of possible damage.
Extend the Life of Your Roof
Algae feeds off the oil in your shingles and can literally eat them away over time. Moss damages shingles by causing them to curl. Curled shingles are easy targets for wind gusts, which get underneath the shingles and pull them off, exposing your roof to the elements. Regular cleaning and maintenance to remove these organisms is critical for your roof’s protection.
Improve Your Roof’s Protective Ability
Moss and algae growth inhibit your roof’s reflective abilities, making it less efficient and . Moss and algae also encourage water retention on your roof’s surface. If left unaddressed, water can seep under shingles and through your roof, which could cause mold, rot, or leaks.
Uncover Symptoms of Roof Damage
If your roof is showing certain signs, such as peeling shingles, low spots, or , it might need repair. Significant staining, algae or moss growth can mask these symptoms, so you don’t notice the damage until it becomes serious. Removing them will allow you to accurately assess your roof’s condition. On the other hand, if your roof looks like it’s in rough shape, a thorough cleaning may be just what it needs to look new again.
Due to safety risks, you shouldn’t attempt to clean roof shingles on your own. It’s best to leave it up to a professional, who has the expertise and equipment to complete the job safely. Contact your local roofing company to help you clean your roof shingles.
How to Clean Roof Shingles
When it’s time to clean your roof shingles, the roofer will use a chemical solution, likely bleach and water, to kill any algae, moss, or mold on your shingles.
- Step 1: Mixing bleach and water in a one-to-one solution, your roofer will use a sprayer to evenly distribute the chemical over your roof.
- Step 2: Then, they will let the solution sit for at least 15 minutes so it can seep into the moss or algae and start loosening its hold on your shingles.
- Step 3: Finally, they will carefully remove the moss or algae by spraying the roof down with a hose. If any stubborn pieces remain, they can be wiped by hand.
To clean roof shingles, the roofer will need to use a ladder to get onto your roof. The surface could become slippery, which is why the job should be left to professionals.
Tips for Maintaining Clean Roof Shingles
Once you have clean roof shingles, you’ll want to keep them that way. Perform routine maintenance on your roof to remove any debris, algae, or moss growth to keep it from causing damage to your roof. Here are a few other tips to help you maintain clean roof shingles:
- It’s a good idea to give your gutters a good cleaning when you clean roof shingles. Gutters help drain water away from your roof, and a drier roof is less likely to grow moss or algae. Also, gutter cleaning removes organisms living in your gutters which could find their way onto your roof.
- You can prevent algae and moss growth by trimming tree branches that touch your roof or block the sun. These organisms grow well in low-light, moist environments, so keeping your roof dry and open to the sunlight can prevent them from taking hold.
- Never attempt to use a power-washer to clean roof shingles. The forceful stream of water can damage shingles, or force water underneath them, which could damage your roof.
If you’ve noticed a lot of debris, moss, or mold on your asphalt roof, and aren’t sure what the right move is, talk to the experts at Werner Roofing. We’d be happy to assess what’s going on, and give you a free, no-obligation estimate of how we can help you solve the problem.
OUR FREE ROOF INSPECTION
How do you know when it’s time for a new roof? The only way to be sure of your residential roof’s current condition is to have a licensed professional personally inspect it. Werner Roofing is proud to offer free roof inspections for every client, so you can be sure of your roof’s condition. Every Werner Roofing inspection comes complete with our promise: “We won’t recommend or sell a roof replacement unless it’s necessary.”