All About Metal Roofs
There are many reasons why homeowners opt for metal roofs. They’re durable, low-maintenance, and quick and easy to install. The question is – are metal roofs energy efficient? We’re here to give you the inside scoop and explain the pros and cons of having a metal roof on your home.
Are Metal Roofs Energy Efficient?
In short – yes, metal roofs are energy efficient. Since they reflect heat up away from the building they’re attached to, they’re considered one of the most energy-efficient roofing materials on the market. In fact, a high-quality metal roof can save homeowners 10-25% in annual energy costs.
The Pros of Metal Roofs
Whether you’re building a home from scratch or your existing roof needs an update, a metal roof could be an attractive option. Some of the pros of metal roofing systems include:
- Long-lasting: Metal roofs can last between 40 and 70 years, depending on the metal material. Asphalt shingle roofs have an estimated life expectancy of 12-20 years.
- Durable: Metal roofs can withstand winds up to 140 miles per hour without cracking or getting damaged under impact.
- Heat-resistant: Metal roofing materials will not spark or ignite into flames during wildfires or lightning storms.
- Energy-efficient: The sun’s UV and infrared rays reflect off metal roofs.
- Environmentally-friendly: Typically, metal roofs are made from recycled content. Plus, they’re recyclable at the end of their life.
The Cons of Metal Roofs
Though they have many advantages, metal roofs also have some drawbacks. It’s important to take note of the cons of metal roofs:
- Price: Metal roofs can be more expensive than other materials. They last longer, so it’s a good investment, but it will cost more out-of-pocket.
- Noise: During rainstorms, you might hear noise from your metal roof. Adding more insulation to your attic can help alleviate this problem.
- Inconsistent color matching: If your roof requires a repair or you want to add an extension, it could be difficult to find an exact match to your existing material.
- Rust: Some metals rust in certain climates that receive a lot of precipitation.
Invest in Metal Roofs With Werner Roofing
Here at Werner Roofing, we exclusively use metal roofing materials from Sheffield Metals. We trust Sheffield as our only metal supplier because they always guarantee the highest durability and sustainability standards.
Sheffield Metals feature a unique COOLR® technology finish that reflects solar energy before it turns into heat. This technology means that your home will stay cool in the summer without additional energy from your air conditioner, saving you money.
Our Standing Seam Metal Roofs
Werner Roofing is proud to provide top-notch standing seam metal roofs for your home. Standing seam metal roofs are composed of metal panels that run from the top of your roof down to your home’s gutter. The panels are attached by fasteners connected by raised seams about 1-2 inches above the panels’ level.
The raised seams of our metal roofs keep water and precipitation from leaking through the fasteners. Plus, the interlocking seams make your roof resistant to all types of weather and promote thermal movement.
Some more standout features of standing seam metal roofs from Werner Roofing include:
- Lifetime: Approximately 40-70 years
- Durability: Hold up well in all conditions, even against hail and falling trees
- Safety: Flame and wind resistant
- Energy-efficiency: On average, you’ll save anywhere between 10%-25% on your energy bill
- Weight: Hundreds of pounds lighter than other roofing types, meaning that the installation process will be much more efficient
- Eco-friendly: Mostly made of recycled materials and are 100% recyclable after their lifetime has been exceeded
Are You Ready To Invest in a Metal Roof?
Metal roofs are a long-lasting, durable, and energy-efficient roofing option. If you’re ready to upgrade your home with a metal roof, give the Werner Roofing team a call. We specialize in beautiful standing seam metal roofs that are sure to last for decades.